Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Colour Hat!

Do you have a favourite colour?

I love colour, different colours, different combinations of colours, light and dark, warm and cool, contrasts of colour, analgous colours, complementary colours, discordant colours.
There are so many colours, but all of them are combinations of the of the 3 primary colours , red, blue, yellow and varying tints and tones. These colours plus green, purple, orange/brown, make up the colours we see every day, everywhere, in books, magazines, packaging, clothes, household items etc.

I love the fact that each colour makes me feel a certain way, for example,

Red is passionate, the colour of hearts and flames. It attracts attention and actually speeds up the body's metabolism. Pink is associated with romance.
Yellow is lively and happy, the colour of sunshine and daffodils.
Orange is sunny, cheerful, warm.

Green is tranquil and pastoral, the colour of trees and grass. Bright green reminds us of spring and fertility, but it is also the colour of mildew, poison and jealously
Blue is the colour of the sky and the sea. Like green, it has a calming effect, but it's also quiet powerful.

Purple is a sophisticated colour, associated with royalty.

Brown is rich and fertile, like soil and it's also sad and wistful like the leaves in autumn. Light brown, tan and beige give fabrics and house wares a rusti, natural look, while dark brown suggests opulent hardwoods and leather.

White is the colour of purity, virginity, innocence and peace, but it's also associated with hospitals, sterility and winter.
Black is the colour of night and death, but it is also associated with wealth and elegance.

Chijiiwa, Hideaki, 1987, Colour Harmony, Rockport Publishers

How do some colours make you feel and do you have a favourite colour?

2 comments:

  1. Yellow 'feels' uplifting. I picture springtime in New Zealand and the kowhai trees overflowing with flowers. While bright yellow is so visually intense we might only use small amounts at times within a graphic design, a mass of yellow within our environment can provide an emotional punch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. green is my favourite colour.
    I will only have white sheets. It constantly reminds me of holidays and beautiful resorts I've visited.
    Blue is not my favourite but I love it because it's the colour of my playground-surf

    ReplyDelete